Thursday, May 26, 2011

Torah Scraps ~Be Holy~ April 29, 2011

Torah Scraps

~Be Holy~

April 29, 2011


imagesCAJAU2UF

This weeks reading:

  • Torah: Leviticus 19:1-20:27
  • Prophets: Amos 9:7-15
  • Gospel: John 7:53-10:21

Each week on the Sabbath Eve (Friday evening) we read our weekly Torah Portions. On Sabbath Morning (Saturday morning) the kids and I scrapbook the main idea or something we personally got out of the reading.

This week the verse that spoke to us was    :

Lev 19:2  Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy.

Friday night I sat down and scrapbooked one of the many things that I choose to do out of love for GOD.

Then Saturday morning each of my kids came up with their own idea of what it meant to them to be set apart and holy for GOD and scrapbooked that thing that they chose to do.

001

I chose the difference in observing the Passover and Feast of First Fruits instead of Easter, because it is a more “Holy” choice of things to celebrate. Passover tells the story of Christ being our Passover Lamb and the Feast of First Fruits tells of His resurrection; where Easter in infused so deeply with pagan symbols you can not see Yeshua in it at all. The majority of kids only get excited about the chocolate bunnies and the eggs filled with money or candy, they often never associate that Yeshua rose around this time of year.

\003

Adam also chose the difference in the holidays we celebrate. In Adam words, “Jesus (Yeshua) celebrated Passover not Easter and so we should too. I know He wasn’t walking around with an Easter basket hunting eggs!”

004

Anna chose the fact that she chooses to dress modestly, “Because you don’t need to go showing off your body because it is inappropriate!”

005

Austin chose the fact that he chooses to wait till marriage to be intimate with someone because “God should choose who you are to be with and you don’t need to waste your love on someone who wont matter.”

I was very proud of each of my kids choosing something different and something that was personal to them. (Adam didn’t know what I scrapped the night before until a whole day after he did his.)

Seeing your child choose, on their own, to walk after God and in holiness is an awesome feeling. I am so proud of my kids and I am so happy GOD has called us to be a people set apart. The road is rough at times but GOD is always there to help us over the hurdles and encourage us to stay the course.

2Ti 4:7-8 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

For the weekly Torah Portion and commentaries referred to in this blog please visit http://torahportions.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment