Friday, March 18, 2011

Gardening

 

Gardening

March 2011

We almost decided to not garden this year. I expect a dry year. Lord, I hope I am wrong. At the last minute we decided to go ahead and give it a try.

 

100_0098

 

Stewart tilled up the garden plot with his redneck fixed tiller.

 

100_0099

 

He made wire rings to make compost out of leaves and grass from our yard. It helps the soil be richer for planting.

 

IMG_1475

He then made rows and hoed out the grass.

 

IMG_1477

 

Stewart had Austin build these raised beds and run a piece of cattle panel down them to tie his tomatoes to.

 

IMG_1485

 

The men then hoed the rows with a trench so the short people could plant the Pinkeye Purple Hull Peas, which is the main thing we plant. I figure we could live off peas if we ever had to, besides fresh purple hulls are so much more tastier than canned.

 

IMG_1695

 

The short people, which included myself, got busy planting the peas while the guys covered them back over.

 

IMG_1698

 

I love that my family does everything together, whether it be work or play. Of course they enjoy the play much more than the work but I feel making them learn “work before play” is a major value that will carry on into their adult lives.

Get the work done, then you have your reward. Knowing that they had a major part in the planting of the seeds gives them a since of accomplishment when it comes to the harvest.

 

Wow, that could almost preach.

No comments:

Post a Comment