Friday, August 9, 2013

Geocaching The Big Thicket


Geocaching the Big Thicket

February 26, 2012

We wanted to go geocaching and Village Creek SP has several caches in it. We also love hiking the Sundew Trail and the Kirby Nature Trail and I wanted to put geocaches in the parks. We decided to make a day of it!

First stop was a park we like in Woodville. We walked around a bit before finding a place to hid a cache. While wandering, we noticed some Leaf Cutter Ants. These guys always make me think of:
Proverbs 6:6-8
 Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.



005


We stopped off at Sundew to drop a cache, I always check my phone & GPS against each other when placing a cache so that I can get the coordinates as close to perfect as possible. 


027

Then off to Village Creek, GPS in hand!

Austin made the first find, it was a little bird house with the cache stuck in the hole, we had to wonder if a bird was ever disappointed to go up to the door and not be able to enter in.

028

We took time to let the kids play on the play ground for a little while.

032033042

Anna was not feeling well, and had to get some extra loven’ from daddy. I do believe she has him wrapped around that little finger!


045

We asked if she was up to trying to finding another cache…well of course she is!

044

So down the trail we go!

047

Recent rains made the trail a challenge!

017

But it did make for an interesting observing area!

049

Anna, still not feeling great, now needed brotherly lovens as they all have to climb on the natural “bridges” littering the trail.

051

Anna did find a very unique geocache once we got around the water and fallen tree barriers. Someone had taken an old stump cut off the top, hollowed out the inside, and hinged it to hold a cache in it. Anna found the cache by knocking the whole stump over but Austin was the one who noticed how it was made.

056060

They had to take turns sitting on a funny shaped tree.

063064

Well, not everyone sat, someone had to climb on up.

The mosquitoes were awful and the trail was mush so we stopped after only two caches and decided to head to Kirby to hid my geocache.

While we were there the kids had to take a pic in the beautiful old oak, it is going to be pretty much a tradition for every time we come here.

077

We headed back home and grabbed a few more caches along the way.

080

Other than a sick little girl we had a good time and she is a trooper and a pretty good geocacher too!

** Update on the geocaches that I placed on the hiking trails, I ended up having to remove them per order of the Park Rangers in that area. 
I had asked a lady at the desk in the main building if geocaches were allowed on the trails and she said that technically no but that she didn’t think it would be a problem. She then noticed my Menorah necklace and asked about my beliefs, come to find out she too was Torah Observant. We exchanged emails so that we could keep in touch and I went on my way. I later received a message from her supervisor that I needed to remove my caches or they would be destroyed. I can’t say it was to bad of a deal though because I did meet a nice lady who has very similar beliefs as we do and we have a new friend who has daughters who are around my daughters age. I believe it was all part of God’s plan, I may not have geocaches in the places I wanted but I did make a new friend which is much more valuable!

~THE END~

No comments:

Post a Comment