Thursday, November 11, 2010

"My Daddy" Happy Veteran's Day


"My Daddy"
(a poem)





My dad was in the army

Way before there was me,

But they taught him stuff

And in turn he taught me.



Obey you elders,

Show them respect,

Do as you are told,

An image you reflect.



Silence in the woods,

What tracks do you see?

Stay close, don’t get lost.

Make sure to follow me.



Pull back the bow,

So it don’t hit your arm.

Careful with the gun,

Do others no harm.



Bait the hook with a worm.

Tie a knot just this way.

When there is work to do,

Make sure you don’t play



Don’t trust people,

They will hurt you for sure.

Boys want to take,

And leave you impure



Don’t you start a fight,

But if the fight comes to you,

Make sure they are the ones

Who can't do what you do.



Crying is for sissies

don’t you shed a tear.

Never show weakness

or the least bit of fear.


Pine cones have a nut

You can live off the land.

Throw the knife by its tip

With a steady hand.



Don’t take what’s not yours.

Trespassing is a crime.

Work a honest day

If only for a dime.



Keep the tools clean

Each one has a place.

I knew he meant business

By the look on his face.



Computers are the future.

Learn all you can from me.

Reading teaches all things

With endless possibility.



If you’re going to drive

Know how to work them too.

The oil, the tire, the plugs

The broken brake shoe.



In pain, shrug it off.

Tell a joke, when scared.

Know when you are listened to

And when they no longer care.



Life happens.

Things die.

People hurt you.

People lie.



At camp, we were safe.

Dad had a gun.

Anyone come up

He could put them on the run.



He knows karate

Boxed above his class

Anyone hurt us

He’d knock them to the grass.



Daddy taught me plenty.

He could be really hard.

But he is who I thank

For being on guard.



A bit tuff on us girls

But that was OK.

He made me into

This woman today.



I thank my daddy

For being willing to fight

For my country, My freedom

And my liberty and rights.
 
(certain identities hidden by request)

No comments:

Post a Comment